Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Decking the Halls and Trimming the Tree: ROUND 1

So, Jared and I have yet to decorate for the holidays, or any holiday for that matter.  We even have had trouble decorating our house period.  Somewhere between school, work, and well .... life, it just hasn't been on the top priority list for a while.  Don't get me wrong, I do want to decorate our house, but I don't know sometimes I feel guilty I guess putting money into our little apartment when I know we won't be there to long.  Besides, it sure has a lot of character on it's own.  For those of you have been there, not only is it older than Jared's 84 year old grandpa, who put the wood flooring in, but it has since then been covered in kermet the frog swamp green carpet.  Anyhow, we love our little tree house, and slowly but surely the decorating has taken stage.  It started this summer by finally putting up some picture from our wedding, in frames I had been collecting with weekly Micheal's coupons was further embelished with a wonderful gift from Jared for my birthday, when he refinished six beautiful sturdy old frames, cutting glass for them, and printing pictures, all of which we have placed around the house.  Decorating was topped off when we finally got one of my most exciting wedding gifts this summer from the Ditto's.  It's a long story, but on my mission I had this vision of a wall covered in favorite scriptures (instead of pictures of Christ only) and must have told Sara about it, because she had four of the scriptures printed and we got it up on our wall in the living room.  I will have to do a house tour later, but for now here is a picture of the wall.  Just pretend it's straight - these are way harder to do than you think.


Okay, but here is the kicker.  We finally decided that, being here for Christmas, we really wanted to start our own traditions and do some Christmas decorating to get in the Spirit.  So we got a fresh tree from our forest here in Logan Canyon and then proceeded to buy and apply the trimmings.  After way to much searching we found a metal tree stand (everywhere was either sold out or $50 bucks!  Who in their right mind?...) an angel (from Global Village made of orange rinds - so cute! - our new tradition of one ornament a year together), and lights.  Lights.  One question: How do you know how many lights to buy?  Answer: Do not use my strategy of imagining wrapping the strand loosely like a candy-cane-stripe around your tree.  It will not be enough! 
So yep, that is what we did.  Bought one strand of 105 lights, 5 yards (seemed like plenty) and headed home gitty to decorate.  Well, after sawing the tree in our living room to make it not hit the roof, barely getting it's excuse for a trunk tightened into the stand, and wrapping the lights on, Jared proudly plugged in the string of lights, to illuminate ....

 
 
Yes, two feet of the tree a lite.  Oh well, we'll get this down.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I think it looks great! Now drive fast home on Sat.

Ditto Family said...

Very festive! We received a box of ornaments as a wedding gift which seemed a little weird at the time but actually was really nice once combined with my childhood ornaments. Did you get all your ornaments?

My recommendation on the lights is to buy the expensive LED ones. It's so frustrating every year to plug in the light strand and not have them work. Urg!!

The scripture looks great --- don't you guys own a level? I'm proud of you for finally putting it up and posting pictures.

Michelle said...

I really like your charlie brown tree! It is really cute...