Sunday, November 22, 2009

NAET

... or "Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques,

I was introduced to NAET several years ago by my sister, who's sister-in-law's daughter had severe milk allergies among others, and was treated by an NAET doctor in Utah. After, I believe two weeks, or something, she was eating a bowl full of ice cream, no problem. Part of me pushed it aside, because I was living in Logan, UT and Salt Lake City was a far way to go to the nearest NAET doctor when I didn't own a car. Plus, my insurance would never cover it. I continued to pursue just about every medical specialty out there to try and diagnose and alleviate my 12+ years of symptoms of muscular and joint pains. Since I was three years old, I have suffered from these sometimes debilitating and sometimes just plain annoying pains. There were times where I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours without being awoken by the severity of the pain. Times when I couldn't' exercise because I hurt to bad. And other times exercise and stretching helped. Essentially there were few patterns to my pain. All in all though, I considered myself very healthy and active, though I new something wasn't right. I fit some descriptions of autoimmune disorders like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, neurofibril myalgia ... you name it, but not one did I follow all the symptoms or test positive for. I am grateful that each doctor (as extremely frustrating as it was sometimes not to have answers though) couldn't diagnose me. Mostly I didn't need a name for what was wrong with me, I just wanted solutions, relief, anything!

I wasn't comfortable taking as much aspirin, Tylenol, or Advil as would require to have relief. So, I began researching on my own. I spent a lot of my youth (well still in my youth so I still do!) learning about the body, nutrition, disease, etc. Partly, all of this has interested my for as long as I can remember, part of me wanted to help others with what I was learning, and part of me wanted to find answers that I was getting rather skeptical of every receiving from any doctor.

While in Germany serving a mission for our church, my companion and I were teaching a man who was trained in Shiatsu. During a lesson in my second to last week serving, he quietly asked me if I was okay. I had been trying to conceal some intense pain I was having during the lesson. I don't know why I told him, but I briefly explained what was wrong. (Oddly enough my mission has been the only exception in my life, up until now of having relatively no pain whatsoever. I was actually surprised to have it during this lesson. I realized though as the Spirit softly had whispered to me, that it was the Lord's most merciful gift to me to take away this pain while I served His children, and to have this small episode after almost two years of relief was a reminder that I needed to seek help again. I also believe he was directing me to some alternative health care I had mostly not pursued officially outside of personal learning, nutritional changes, etc.) He took a moment to meditate, and then suggested that I pursue some treatment in the US, but also graciously offered to do some treatments on me free of charge. I thanked him, but declined feeling that that probably wasn't appropriate now, but wrote down some information and recommendations he gave me.

At home I started researching them, but again nothing was available near by. I moved back to Logan to start school, got married and when things started to settle down a bit started looking into options. That is when I remembered my sister's suggestion to try NAET. I looked it up, but again felt like treatment was to far and too expensive without insurance covering it. At the same time I was introduced to a wonderful LPN in obstetrics/gynecology who I began working with. Though she is a wonderful woman, and certainly takes a much more holistic and natural approach then most physicians I have met, she finally came to the conclusion that medically she couldn't help, and ultimately said I would do best to continue my healthy lifestyle and even up my workout intensity. All in all though, I left feeling upset and disappointed. I was now approaching 20 years of pain, had developed sensitivity in my diet and ate a very low grain/starch (though whole grain when I did), low fat, low sugar diet. I rarely ate a piece of bread after some stomach issues in 2006. I also have been a vegetarian officially since 2nd Grade, though my family can attest to my meat aversion since I can remember. It made my stomach hurt and was accompanied by headaches. Fat, starch and/or sugar began causing similar symptoms. Though some may think I sound super health, no grains isn't a good thing, and some fat in our diets is really important.


Anyhow, all this compounding, led me to start researching NAET from my sister's six year old suggestion. Here is a short description of NAET:
NAET "are a non-invasive, drug free, natural solution to eliminate allergies of all types and intensities using a blend of selective energy balancing, testing and treatment procedures from acupuncture/acupressure, allopathy, chiropractic, nutritional, and kinesiological disciplines of medicine...NAET® can successfully eliminate adverse reactions to egg, milk, peanuts, penicillin, aspirin, mushrooms, shellfish, latex, grass, ragweed, flowers, perfume, animal dander, animal epithelial, make-up, chemicals, cigarette smoke, pathogens, heat, cold, other environmental agents."


In my research, and with some prayer, I began calling various doctors in the SLC area that had NAET specialties I might fit under. I learned that what are referred to allergens are not just evident in the anaphylactic reactions we typically connect them with, but can be better described as "hypersensitivities" our bodies develop often like any autoimmune response, after a traumatic or taxing incidence or series of experiences that causes our body (in it's normally amazing defense) to fight against it's stressor but then "loose"control and began "fighting" other parts of our body, like organs. This spiral of events can create many connected, yet seemingly unconnected, problems. I knew something was wrong, I could feel if what a doctor was suggesting was right or just not the real problem, but I still didn't know what the cause really was.

Through, what I believe was Heavenly Father's guidance, by way of peace, I was able to decide on a doctor, and when I called, actually had my call returned by the practitioner himself and just happened to have an opening the following day when we were already driving down to SLC in August. Dr. Allen (also a chiropractor) has been an extremely helpful in explaining what he is diagnosing as problems and treatments not only physiologically but also according to natural/eastern medicine philosophy. I have appreciated this, because though the technique is not your typical western medicine treatment, he does understand what is happening in my body and can explain that scientifically. He uses a series of acupuncture and acupressure treatment (with his hands, hand held machines and high energy infrared light) along with some nutritional supplements to treat me. I have been driving down to his office in Draper, UT every Friday since I started going (14 times) and am happy to report the increadible blessing of two weeks without pain, and counting! With the exception of my time serving a mission, this is the first time I have gone this long with out pain in 21 years. I thank our Heavenly Father every night. If you do the math, yes it has taken sometime to feel the effects of the treatments. I have been suffering from this chronic pain for years though, so really if one treatment is working off a year or more of pain, I have to say that is pretty "quick" and effective.

I am so grateful for Dr. Allen's expertise and commitment to his patients. He is an excellent doctor whom I would recommend to anyone with explained or unexplained problems, disease, pain, etc. Unlike most traditional allergy treatments, most people are told to stay away from what is causing their reaction to, milk, gluten, etc. With NAET though, the idea is to treat you for them, so that your body can be exposed to these substances or situations and react in a normal healthy homeostatic way. If you are looking for a practitioner in your area, click here. I would also be happy to answer any more questions you might have. Just leave a comment on my blog.

Lastly, I would just like to note: Most of our problems are not only physiologically caused or promoted but psychologically/emotionally too. It is so important to take an honest look at all the different areas that could be contributing to your suffering (even if it is minimal) and deeply consider if it may have other patterns. We often don't realize how much our body physically expresses the stress we are receiving and often creating. Understanding this, and working to honestly analyze this, alone, with my husband, and family, has significantly improved the way I feel. I don't mean that we mean to cause the pain we have, in fact I mean just the opposite. A lot of our body's reactions are not our doing, but we can aid it's healing by changing some of our attitudes, reactions, or feelings, internally. We are truly more powerful than we may believe we are. As a dear friend put it this summer, our bodies are the miracles, we just need to give them the right resources and they can often heal themselves.

4 comments:

emily a. said...

You wrote this at such a perfect time. Have you given your dr. a copy of this? I just told my friend Charise about your treatment this morning as she was telling me her frustrations and concerns about her son's allergies.

I'm so glad you are feeling better! What a blessing indeed.

Ditto Family said...

You did a great job writing this for sure!!! I know your time is pressed with school but I think having this recorded will not only be a blessing to your in the future but also to others who stumble across this write-up.

Love you and I'm so thankful you have had some physical relief from your years of pain.

Benny Boo and Linsey Lou said...

You don't know me, I was just searching blogger to see if my blog came up and stumbled on this. I have started a blog about NAET to follow my infant son's treatments. We live in Bountiful and have been going to Dr. Anderson in SLC since September. I'm so glad I stumbled on your story. I'm anxious to share this wonderful treatment with everyone in the food allergy, as well as the environmental allergy community. Would you be willing to let me post your story on my blog? I'm hoping it gains some popularity and to add some authors to it as I meet people who are helped by NAET.

laura said...

Dear Yummy Wasabi,
I can't find your blog to be able to email you back, but I would be happy to have you post a link on your blog connecting to mine. I wrote a shorter version of everything for my blog, but I am glad it meant something to you and your family. NAET is fabulous and I am so grateful for it. Good luck!

-laura