Thursday, January 21, 2010

Snowshoeing ... is there even an art to it?

We had Monday off of school, so Jared asked me if I wanted to go snowshoeing.  I excitedly said, "yes," and we rented shoes.  Well, Monday was before the snow came, actually exactly a day before the snow came and we had to drive all the way to Tony's Grove to find snow.  I was hysterically laughing as we drove up the canyon making jabs at Jared about the snow ... or lack thereof.  It was ironic that we finally get out to do something like that together and we pick probably one of the worst snow condition days ... it was funny, come on!  Anyhow, Jared didn't think it was quite as funny as I did.  But the day got better. 
We park at the base, with 7 miles ahead of us to get up to Whitepine lake.  We don't see the nicely groomed trail and headed up into the trees.  We spent the following two maybe three hours trekking up and down a ravine, up until the trees were to thick and we were climbing over bushes in our snowshoes and then down again hoping we would find a better pathway back up.  I was having a blast.  It was great weather (minus the looming rain clouds surrounding us).  Jared on the other hand was eating more of the snow then the snacks we brought with us.  It was hilarious.  Mostly because I have never done any winter activity with Jared in the snow and all I ever hear about is his crazy, adventurous, and taleted abilities on a snowboard.  So, seeing him, well, on his face more than me, was quite the surprise.  After maybe the fourth fall he exclaimed, "Snowshoeing is like hiking Mt. Everest in flippers!"  I about died laughing and promptly pushed him over again into the snow.  I later regretted that decision, but I sure had a good laugh before his retaliation!  Anyhow, we found the groomed trail near the end of our hike and headed down in about 20 maybe 30 minutes.  Slightly disappointing, seeing as how we thought we had made a lot of progress.  About back to the car, we passed a couple heading up the trail who inquired if we had gone all the way up to the lake.  I laughed and said that we had spent most of our time in the ravine.  The couple thought this was less than impressive and apparently not funny at all and promptly continued on.  Oh well. 
Sorry we don't have a picture, we forgot our camera.  Nonetheless, I thougth you would all still enjoy the story.  And to address my question above, I am pretty sure there is no art whatsoever to snowshoeing, but am I wrong?  I am going again tomorrow with my friend Abby to try my feet at it again on quite a bit more snow that has freshly fallen all this week.

3 comments:

Drew and Sadie said...

I wish i was there to experience. What a funny story!

Ditto Family said...

I've never tried snowshoeing. I think I would first have to learn to like the cold.

I'd rather be wearing sandals in the sand.

Unknown said...

Take me with you!!!!! How much I miss the snow.... and miss you!! :)