Sunday, April 18, 2010

Delicious Waffles!


One of my favorite cooking/baking blogs out there is http://www.101cookbooks.com/ (which this photo is from).  She is a remarkable in the kitchen!  And from all her other entries seems like a remarkable woman all around, that I would love to spend some time with.  I am always drooling at her seasonal recipes, cookbook recomendations, and photography.  I want to go to San Fransisco and enjoy walking around all the streets and beaches, love up all the Farmer's Markets, and visit some of the restaurants.  Until then, I try out her recipes with, I'll admit, often a number of changes.  I don't always have the wide spectrum of vibrant spices or delcious greens or beans, but I do what I can. 
As a major waffle fan, I have been experimenting with recipes for a while.  This one she recently posted we tried this morning and I think is, hands down, my favorite one yet.  It has the whole grain goodness I love from one of my mother-in-law's recipes and the crunchy outer layer, soft inner layer lightness that I love from the whole wheat waffle recipe I grew up on.  It is definitely worth breaking out your wheat/grain grinders if you have one.  It doesn't take any extra time really! So here it is:  My substitutions/adjustments (which were minimal this time) in italics:

Multigrain Waffles

1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 cups / 475 ml buttermilk (I cheaply made my own 'cause I didn't have any)
1 cup / 3.5 oz / 100g barley flour (ground in our Nutramil)
1/2 cup / 1.5 oz / 45 g oat flour (gound rolled oats in our blender)
1/2 cup / 2 oz / 55g rye flour (ground in our Nutramil - could subst. with whole wheat or millet flour if you don't have any rye for a good waffle and slightly different tast)
1 tablespoon natural cane sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
3 large eggs, whisked
1/3 cup / 3 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled a bit  (I may or may not have used less :)
If you happen to remember, soak the poppy seeds in the buttermilk overnight, if not, it's no big deal. Just add them to the wet mix later on.
Preheat your waffle iron. I set mine to medium heat (3-4), but you'll have to play around a bit with the settings on your particular waffle iron to settle on the right temperature.
In a large bowl mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs into the buttermilk mixture, then whisk in the melted butter. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.

I use about 1/2 cup / 120 ml of batter per waffle. Close the iron, and resist the urge to peek for a couple of minutes, the waffle needs time to set and develop a bit of a skin. After that you can check to see how your waffle is coming along. Cook until deeply golden. Serve with syrup, preserves, fresh fruit, yogurt, peanut or almond butter, etc. 
Made 8-ish round (6 3/4" diameter) waffles.

No comments: